Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yards and Yurts

Nothing new to blog about, really.

We went to the doctor yesterday and she is back up to a whopping 21 1/2 pounds, so we're half-way back to normal with regards to weight gain. This puts her around the 20% percentile of kids her age. However, she evidently had a growth spurt because she now stands at a towering 33 1/2 inches tall! I think we'll have a yard party once she reaches 36" (pun intended).

Powerball tickets went on sale here in NC yesterday. There is a drawing tonight, so I think Matt is going to pick up a couple just for fun. It definitely would make the house hunting go a bit easier.

Speaking of house hunting, we went for a third look at this one neighborhood in Concord yesterday. Ten foot ceilings, enormous kitchens, bonus rooms, and closets the size of my current office. We sat down with the sales manager and he laid out how much our house would cost with the options we wanted. I think he saw me shoot a 'look' at Matt wen he announced the price of the home, so he offered to calculate how much we can afford (I think as an attempt to make me feel better). Why do people like this always try to get you to buy the most house you can afford? The gentleman didn't seem to understand me when I told him that, just because we can afford a house doesn't mean that I'm comfortable actually spending that much.

And isn't a house just a place to sleep and store your stuff, anyway? In my mind I'm ready to minimalize - get rid of most of this 'stuff' I've been accumulating for years and pare down to a simpler way of life. Get back to the things that actually matter. I feel like the more attached we become to things, the less we attach ourselves to people. Is that the example we want to pass down the generations? I watched a TV show this weekend about a guy who built a Mongolian yurt on the shore of a lake, and actually thought that might be a nice way to go. The simple life.

Plus with a yurt, I could afford those granite countertops and whirlpool bathtub.

No comments: